Go down
Common
Common
Rep : 11
View user profile

2018.07.17 - MySQL Progress

on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
This post is a follow-up to my previous post about the current progress of the rewrite.

I have been trying to run a script that converts the old JSON data to MySQL data, so that users will be able to keep their data when moving from the current version of the bot to the rewrite.

Unfortunately, the current progress of the rewrite has remained the same since my last post. This is because I have been struggling to get this script to finish running - which is necessary in order for me to continue working on the rewrite. I am unable to write and test code based on data that I am unable to use and access.

I have been trying to run the script on my computer - but the window would mysteriously vanish, and more recently I have been having troubles with my Internet Service Provider causing my internet to go offline and the script to stop.

As stated in the previous post, I tried to run the script on the AWS (Amazon Web Services) server that we use to run BoxBot, but after about an hour of trying I was unable to get the required libraries installed.

I finally became so frustrated that I decided to buy another much smaller service to simply run this script. The script should now hopefully run interrupted and once it is finished I will be able to continue my work on BoxBot's rewrite.

I apologise that the rewrite is taking so long, but please try to understand that I am writing the bot in a language that I have never used before and so need time to learn it and change some coding habits. Also note that MySQL is a lot different than a JSON file, so it may take a while for me to get used to that also.

I thank you all for your patience and a big shout out to our patrons and donators for helping to keep the bot running in it's current state. The Python version of the bot is slow and unoptimised, meaning that the bot is slower than it should be and running it costs more money. The purpose of the rewrite is to make the bot a lot faster and to greatly reduce server costs.

Last edited by logan on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : unstickied)
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum